Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Hunk Hunk of Burning Love

It only took me a life time but I finally made it to Graceland. I have loved Elvis from the time I was little. My childhood friend Barbara and I loved him together and I remember when she got to go to Graceland...I was in awe. of course, Elvis was still living then and all she got to do was stand outside a closed date. But I always remembered that picture. I finally got to have my picture taken in front of that gate. We loved seeing inside the house and talking to the employees. I know that many people say that Graceland is tacky but I strongly have to disagree. First of all, if you grew up in the 60's, many of our homes may have looked like this. I loved his living room and dining room. He had beautiful stain glass windows and designs. It wasn't that big of a house - with today's standards of homes. I wondered as I walked through his house what he may have changed had he continued to live there...or whether he would have sold it at some point. Believe it or not, the boys really liked it. The twins were fascinated by the "old" stuff and that I kept saying "look - thats what we had in our home when I was a kid"...boy was I feeling old!! Austin was in awe of how many awards and gold records Elvis received in his short life time and by the number of TVs in the house. Of course, remember, in the 60's and 70's...having more than 1 TV was a big deal...but to have one or more in every room of your house...now that was living big! The boys got to listen to lots of Elvis music, as they broadcast live from a satellite music booth...Elvis music all day long. We had a 4 hr drive from Huntsville, AL to Memphis, TN. I owe them big time because my guys never complained once listening to the music or while at Graceland (ok so Connor had a meltdown afterwards because he was so hot after leaving Graceland...but it just looked like he was crying over Elvis!! hahaha). It was extra special that day too because I got to share this experience with one of my dearest friends from childhood (church, confirmation, choir, school) who lives in Memphis, Linda. We shared the day together. We spent a wonderful few days in Memphis with Linda and husband John. We were sad to say goodbye. But hopefully this won't be our last visit. One of my favorite moments was driving down Elvis Presley Blvd and his song Rubberneckin' came on - we were singing the song and hanging our heads out the window. The boys asked "whats rubberneckin".....

2 comments:

Evi said...

WOW.......now I want to go to Graceland. It looks really interesting.

Rebecca said...

It was great. The boys really liked it too! There was more there that I still didn't see...plus heading to Tupelo to see where he was born. But I left some things for the next trip!!